Organic coconut flour is a low-carb, gluten-free baking alternative to wheat flour. It provides a good source of protein and fiber, which makes this healthy flour particularly satisfying. Suitable for many diets, coconut flour creates baked goods with the perfect textures. It can even be added to smoothies and soups for a boost of nutrition.
What Is Coconut Flour?
Coconut flour is made from ground-up, dried coconut meat. Our coconut flour is 100% all-natural, organic and unsweetened, although the natural sugars in the coconut make the flour mildly sweet. Some consider coconut flour just as tasty as wheat flour, if not tastier, and it has the advantage of being completely gluten-free. Also, organic coconut flour contains more fiber than any other flour, making it especially filling and a popular choice for those trying to lose weight.
Tips for Baking with Coconut Flour
1) Coconut flour behaves differently than wheat flours. It cannot be used as a one-to-one replacement for wheat flours, and generally works best in combination with other gluten-free flours.
2) Substitute 1/4 to 1/3 cup of coconut flour for every 1 cup of wheat flour as a general rule of thumb in baking.
3) Coconut flour is HIGHLY absorbent. Typically, recipes using coconut flour require more moisture, which can be provided by eggs, oils, and other liquids.
4) Scoop, don’t pack. To measure coconut flour, scoop it up with a measuring cup and level it off with a knife. It’s best to avoid packing it into the cup.
Coconut Flour Recipe Ideas
Baked goods made with organic coconut flour are light and soft, with rich textures. Many gluten-free recipes use it as a base, including for coconut flour bread, cakes, and muffins. Try a few of our favorites:
- Chocolate Banana Coconut Flour Muffins
- Gluten-Free Almond Cake
- Coconut Flour Flax Bread
- Coconut Fried Fish
- Add a tablespoon of coconut flour to your next smoothie
- Use coconut flour as a thickener for sauces and gravies
Coconut Flour Health Benefits
1) 100% Gluten-Free: Coconut flour is naturally gluten-free, making it a popular ingredient for those who have gluten allergies or want to eliminate gluten from their diet. It has a naturally high nutritional content which makes it an excellent substitution for wheat flours.
2) Heart-Healthy: A 2006 study published in Innovative Food Science & Emerging Technologies found that the fiber content present in coconut flour is effective at lowering cholesterol levels and reducing the risk for chronic diseases such as diabetes mellitus and cardiovascular disease.
3) Helps to Regulate Spikes in Blood Sugar: Fiber-rich foods such as coconut flour tend to have a low glycemic index because they are better at regulating blood sugar levels. A 2003 study published in The British Journal of Nutrition found that using increased amounts of coconut flour in baked goods lowered the glycemic index of the foods.
Our Registered Dietitian’s Top Pick
Our Registered Dietitian and Health Nut likes to swap about one-quarter of the flour in quick breads and cookies for coconut flour. This flour is made purely from organic coconut and has more fiber than other flours! Each tablespoon has about 6 grams of fiber; that is triple the amount compared to whole wheat flour which has only 2 grams of fiber per serving.
Ratings & Reviews
Great.MICHAEL, Dunedin, FL
Love itTerri, McDonough, GA
I use this in smoothies and they are delicious. I don't get hungry as soon if I add this to my mix.sue, Oak Hill, WV
Awesome for baking.Debbie, Hermon, ME
Organic Desiccated Coconut Packaged in the same facility as peanuts, tree nuts, soy, and milk products.
Serving size 28g (~1 oz.)
|Amount per serving|
|Calories from Fat||41|