Sour (Tart) Cherries
Dried tart cherries are a sweet, tart, and flavorful treat that is great for snacking, cooking, and baking. Our delicious tart Montmorency cherries are rich in antioxidants and nutrients that support heart health and reduce inflammation. Try our sour cherries straight out of the bag, in trail mix, or in baked goods. These dried cherries are lightly sweetened.
Enjoy Tart Cherries
Tart cherries have an incredible sweet and tangy flavor that we like to enjoy by the handful. Here are some other delicious ways to eat them:
- Baked goods: Add a 1/2 cup of dried sour cherries to the batter for cookies, scones, muffins, breads and more. The cherries are especially delicious alongside nuts and dark chocolate chips in baked goods.
- Granola and Trail Mix: Give your granola and trail mix snacks a cheery cherry makeover by adding a scoop of dried cherries to the mix. The tangy flavor will really bring your afternoon snacks to the next level.
- Yogurt and Oatmeal: Sprinkle tart cherries over your morning bowl of oatmeal or yogurt parfait. They make a delicious topping for hot cereal, Greek yogurt, frozen yogurt and more.
- Cheese Platter: Just like other dried fruits, these tart cherries are simply exquisite paired with fresh cheeses and accompanied by a glass of red or sparkling wine.
- Savory Dishes: The naturally sweet and tangy flavor of tart cherries makes them a versatile ingredient in green salads, pasta salads, vegetable dishes, and more. They can even be incorporated into poultry dishes for a subtle hint of sweetness.
6 Health Benefits of Tart Cherries
1. Supports Overall Health: In addition to being rich in vitamins such as, potassium, vitamin C, and B complex, research has shown that cherry consumption can help the body prevent heart disease and cancer, as well as provide pain relief and improved bone health. These health benefits are possible due to the antioxidants found in cherries, the most vital of which are the flavonoids anthocyanins and quercetin, and the phenolic acid amygdalin.
2. Heart-Protective: According to researchers, a flavonoid found in cherries that has anticarcinogenic properties called quercetin can help to prevent heart disease. Dried cherries are considered a nutritionally significant source of quercetin, containing large quantities per serving that surpass most fruits.
3. Promotes Better Sleep: If you’re having trouble sleeping at night, eating a handful of tart cherries in the hours before bedtime can help. Researchers from Louisiana State University found that participants who drank Montmorency tart cherry juice twice a day for two weeks were able to sleep almost 90 minutes longer than the placebo group. The researchers suggest that the combination of melatonin and tryptophan found in cherries promotes a good night’s sleep. They concluded that tart cherries are a safe alternative for insomniacs relying on sleeping pills.
4. Anti-Inflammatory: Anthocyanins found in dried sour cherries also block inflammatory enzymes, reducing pain. In fact, 20 cherries are 10 times as potent as aspirin and have positive effects on gout and arthritis pain.
5. Strong Bones: Dried cherries are also considered to be excellent sources of boron, providing 396 ug/100g. Boron consumption, coupled with calcium and magnesium has been linked to increased bone health.
6. Pain Relief: Tart cherries naturally pack a health-promoting punch that provides pain relief for many consumers. Ongoing research shows that Montmorency tart cherries are a rich source of antioxidants, including melatonin, which may help to relieve the pain of arthritis, gout, and possibly fibromyalgia. To date, no other fruit or vegetable has been found to have the pain relieving properties of tart cherries. In addition, the antioxidants in tart cherries can help fight cancer and heart disease.
Our Registered Dietitian’s Top Pick
Our Registered Dietitian and Health Nut likes dried cherries because they are rich in quercetin, a powerful flavonoid that has been linked to reducing heart disease. Plus, thanks to their deep, dark color from anthocyanins, they are linked to reducing inflammation in the body. Try adding in tart cherries to salads, trail mix, and granola. They are also delicious as a stand-alone snack.
Little on the hard side, but good. Wish they were softer and fresher...June, Highspire, PA
A must-have cabinet staple.Deborah, Harrisburg, MO
Sadly, I did not heed the recent reviews in this product. The cherries I received were, indeed quite hard. The oil coating smelled and tasted rancid. I let Customer Service know, and they were very attentive.Kristine, New Hampton, NY
delicious chewy nuggets of tart cherry flavour, these are great out of hand as well as added to bakes.Colby, Bath, ME
Cherries, Cane Sugar, Expeller Pressed (High Oleic), Sunflower Oil. Packaged in the same facility as peanuts, tree nuts, soy, and milk products.
Serving size 40g (~1.4 oz.)
|Amount per serving|
|Calories from Fat||7|
Store open or closed under refrigeration for up to 1 year. This item can be frozen.
Approximately 375 pieces per pound.
Country of origin: United States